To listen to the blog post “7 Lessons You Can Learn From The Prodigal Son In The Bible” over reading it just click the play button below.
1. The Prodigal Son Meaning
Let’s talk about the prodigal son meaning and how this parable can relate to your everyday life. When it comes to the entire point of the prodigal son, the parable was given by Jesus to show you:
- The role of God as a father in your life. (Click here to read my separate blog on how God is a parent to us).
- To talk about how when we walk away from God for the ways of the world what can happen to us.
- How the world will use you and abuse you and not care.
- How to remember what God offers versus the world.
- The extent of God’s forgiveness.
In order to have the full meaning of the prodigal son then you have to read the entire story in Luke 15:11-32. All the verses will be quoted from the amplified Bible which you can click here to get the amplified Bible I read from.
2. The Prodigal Son In The Bible ~ The Prodigal Son Parable Is To Show You The Role of God In Your Life.
The first prodigal son meaning is to show us how God feels about us. When you read the Bible verses about the prodigal son the father (who represents God) is rich and takes care of his son, and the son is supposed to represent you.
- The Prodigal Son Scripture: Then He said, “A certain man had two sons. The younger of them [inappropriately] said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the property that falls to me.’ Luke 15:11-12
One of the main points that we can take away from this Bible verse and the meaning of the prodigal son is that God is our father. A very rich father that has it within his ability to give us what we need.
And does. But as we will see as we continue on with the story of the prodigal son is that we as people either do not appreciate our blessings or lose them because of our own behavior. Consider checking out my video below about how we are daughters of a king and also my blog on have you forgotten your royal position to where I talk more about this.
3. The Prodigal Son In The Bible ~ The Prodigal Son Parable Is To Show How we walk away from God for the Ways of the World
To show you what I mean by this we are going to start off with the following Bible verses:
The prodigal son scripture: The younger of them [inappropriately] said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of the property that falls to me.’ So he divided the estate between them. A few days later, the younger son gathered together everything [that he had] and traveled to a distant country, and there he wasted his fortune in reckless and immoral living. Luke 15:12-13
How many times do we take God for granted? And instead of listening to God and staying on the path that God has given us, we leave the protection of God go out into the world and start behaving like we have no sense. And as someone who has experienced this personally, the world is the world and you will always come up shorthanded trusting the world alone. As we will see in the next verse.
4. The Prodigal Son In The Bible ~ The Prodigal Son Parable Shows The World Will Chew You Up And Spit You Out
I want to give a personal example of this. I have been celibate for many years now and the reason why that is is that I saw clearly that men would just want what they want and have no good intention for me. You can read my full story about why I became celibate here or watch my video below.
But overall, the world is the world and many people are out for themselves. They will take from you, use you, abuse you, and when they are done they will leave you right where they found you. We know by taking the following meaning from the prodigal son:
The prodigal son scripture: Now when he had spent everything, a severe famine occurred in that country, and he began to do without and be in need. So he went and forced himself on one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. He would have gladly eaten the [carob] pods that the pigs were eating [but they could not satisfy his hunger], and no one was giving anything to him. Luke 15:15-16
So here we have the prodigal son who spent all of his money aka the inheritance and common sense that God gave him. He let it go and now the grace of God has left him he is left to struggle and no one in the world cares that he is struggling. But then amazing things happen.
5. The Prodigal Son In The Bible ~ The Prodigal Son Parable Shows That God Is Greater Than The World
Remember how we talked about all that God had to offer. A warm home, food, and protection, and now all of a sudden the prodigal son traded that in for a world that did can not offer him anything and now he is left eating after pigs. But then something happens:
The prodigal son scripture: But when he [finally] came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired men have more than enough food, while I am dying here of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; [just] treat me like one of your hired men.”’ Luke 15:17-19
For so many of us like the meaning of the prodigal son when we realize that the ways of the world have nothing to offer us, and we realized that we have everything we needed with God we come to our senses. It is then that we want to return back to God BUT so many of us feel ashamed. Because we have done so much wrong in our life that we feel that God will not forgive us. Also, check out my video below on why thinking this way can actually keep you from hearing from God.
But even though we feel ashamed we realize that we have two choices. To sit here and eat out after pigs or to suck up our pride and return back to God. And that is where we reach.
6. The Prodigal Son In The Bible ~ The Prodigal Son Parable Means Understanding God’s forgiveness
And here we have the final meaning of the prodigal son. And that is that no matter what we have done that God will always forgive us. As you will see in the following Bible verse:
The prodigal son scripture: So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was moved with compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his servants,
‘Quickly bring out the best robe [for the guest of honor] and put it on him; and give him a ring for his hand, and sandals for his feet. And bring the fattened calf and slaughter it, and let us [invite everyone and] feast and celebrate; for this son of mine was [as good as] dead and is alive again; he was lost and has been found.’ So they began to celebrate. Luke 15:20-23
And we know that when we come back to God that he is not going to be mad, angry, or withhold future blessings from us. Because he is our father and he is just glad that we came back to him. And therefore he celebrates us and forgets all of the past wrongdoings that we have done.
7. The Prodigal Son In The Bible, The Prodigal Son Parable, The Prodigal Son: Final Points
To sum up, this blog post about the meaning of the prodigal son here are some things that you will want to remember:
- First, The world may look tempting but being reckless and doing the wrong things simply because the world says it is okay will never bring satisfaction.
- Second, God will allow us to explore the world, just so that we can see and experience it for ourselves. Even if he knows that we may get hurt with the behaviors we are doing, he won’t stop us because there is a lesson to be learned.
- Third, That the world will never love you as much as God loves you. And the world can never give you what God can give you.
- Last, That no matter what we have done or the magnitude of our sin or wrongdoing. God will always accept us back with open arms ready to bless us. And that he does not hold grudges.
Now that you see the prodigal son meaning and how much of it can be applied to your own life, don’t forget to share this post with someone who may need to read the same thing. And don’t forget to buy my Christian Manifestation Guide that will give you 29 affirmations and Bible verses to go along with each affirmation so that you can remember who you are in the eyes of God. Click here to buy.